I’m always on the lookout for new and different cookie ideas to make and I was really intrigued by this combination of bacon and chocolate cookies that I found at Tidy Mom, of course the addition of bourbon didn’t hurt either.
The salty/savory-ness of the bacon is a great compliment to the otherwise relatively standard chocolate cookies. The only change I made was adding a combination of half dark chocolate and half mini chocolate chips, instead of all bittersweet like the recipe called for. Partially to use up what I had in my pantry, but I ended up liking both kinds of chocolate in the recipe.
Here’s what you need:
Plus some chilled bacon grease that I didn’t picture. This adds to the bacon flavor in the cookie, but if you don’t have it sub in extra butter.
We’re going to start by making maple glazed bacon strips. Pour about a quarter cup of maple syrup into a bowl and drag the bacon through the syrup to evenly coat.
Place bacon on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for approximately 20 minutes at 375 degrees, or until the bacon is crisp.
Cool bacon and then crumble or chop into small pieces (think the size of chocolate chips).
Start prepping the dough by creaming together butter, bacon grease, brown and regular sugars until light and fluffy. Add an egg, some vanilla, and some bourbon.
Next add the dry ingredients which are a mixture of cake flour, bread flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and a hint of cayenne pepper.
Add the bacon and the chocolate chips.
Mix until combined.
Scoop onto parchment lined coookie sheets with a cookie scoop. I used my medium scoop which is about 1.5 Tablespoons.
Bake at 350 degrees for 9-11 minutes until lightly golden, or longer if you like dark and crunchy cookies.
Cool on the pan for about 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 7 slices of uncooked bacon
- ¼ c maple syrup
- ¼ c bacon grease, chilled
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 ¼ c dark brown sugar
- 1 c plus 2 T sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 t vanilla
- 2 T bourbon
- 2 c less 2 T cake flour
- 1⅔ c bread flour
- 1 ¼ t baking soda
- 1 ½ t baking powder
- 1 t salt
- ⅛ t cayenne pepper
- ¾ c dark chocolate chips
- ¾ c mini semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dredge bacon in maple syrup and lay on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes until crisp.
- Remove from oven and allow bacon to cool. Crumble or chop candied bacon into pieces roughly the size of the chocolate chips.
- Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream together butter, bacon grease, and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Stir in the vanilla and the bourbon.
- Mix together the dry ingredients: both flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cayenne pepper. Gradually add to the dough.
- Stir in the bacon and the chocolate chips.
- Scoop using a medium cookie scoop (about 1.5 T) onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes. Cool on pan for 5 minutes and then remove to wire racks to cool completely.