This post is scheduled to post on the 3rd Friday of Lent, as most of you know, Catholics fast on Lenten Fridays by not eating meat- hence the meatless weekly posts Dana and I have been doing. So here’s my meatless recipe for the week, its a garlicy, mushroomy whole wheat pasta that is delicious, the sad part is, this Friday is also St. Patrick’s Day and many Catholic dioceses have granted a dispensation, allowing us to eat meat on this Friday. Hooray for reubens! I should have posted a reuben recipe. But alas, I shall remain the good Catholic girl that I am and post a meatless recipe. If you are a Catholic and are joining in the celebetory meats this St. Patty’s Day, then you can just eat this on a different day or next Friday 🙂
Those of you who follow the blog know that I only recently started liking and eating mushrooms, the magic of turning 30 apparently. I wonder what will happen when I turn 40? Anyway, that is why I pinned this recipe, and it really is good! I missed out on mushrooms for so many decades, it’s a tragedy. Not only is this pasta garlicy and has a nice robust earthyness to it with a little kick from some red pepper flakes, but its also super easy and quick! Here we go.
You’ll need these things:
I used to think that whole wheat pasta tasted like cardboard, I was dumb. Mushrooms are good, whole wheat pasta is good, young Tory was so foolish.
Cook your pasta according to package instructions, I used whole wheat angel hair, you can really use any pasta you like.
Heat some olive oil in a pan over medium high heat, add your mushrooms and cook a few minutes until they turn golden brown. then shove ’em aside.
And add the garlic and red pepper flakes, cook a couple minutes until they starts to smell all nice and garlicy.
Put your cooked and drained pasta in a bowl, top with your mushroom mixture, sprinkle on some parmesan cheese and parsley and dig in!
If you like mushrooms and garlic, I suspect you’ll find this recipe to your liking. Enjoy 🙂
An after thought- maybe don’t make this on St Patrick’s Day, it probably doesn’t pair well with green beer, or whiskey for that matter, this is a wine kinda meal.
- 4 servings (whatever the box says) uncooked whole wheat pasta (I used angel hair)
- 5-6 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 package (about 2 cups) whole white mushrooms, sliced (or any type of mushroom)
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- olive oil
- Parmesan cheese for topping
- Parsley for topping
- Cook pasta according to package instructions
- Meanwhile, cook the mushrooms in olive oil over medium high heat for about 3 minutes, push aside
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes, cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes
- Stir mushrooms, garlic, red pepper, into pasta, top with parmesan cheese and parsley