Last summer we went out for dinner with my parents for their anniversary back in our hometown. We loaded up on appetizers including this giant platter of chicken nachos, so when it came time to order our entrees a salad sounded just perfect for me. I ordered a chicken salad with a blueberry vinaigrette and it was exactly what I was looking for. And quintessential Ely flavors during blueberry season. It was definitely one of those salads that I needed to recreate at home and have been enjoying ever since.
Making a homemade blueberry vinaigrette is super easy with the help of a blender. Top the salad with some grilled chicken, feta cheese – for a little salt, red onions, candied walnuts – for crunch, avocados – for my own special touch and their creaminess; and of course some more blueberries.
Here’s what you need for the dressing:
And for the salad:
The single serve cups that came with my Ninja blender are my favorite way to make dressings and sauces. I just tossed in some blueberries, white wine vinegar, cider vinager, honey, some canola oil and a pinch of salt. I experimented with the vinegars until I got the right mix – white wine brings a nice tang and the cider, fruitiness.
Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
I seasoned two chicken breasts with Penzey’s Mural of Flavor seasoning but any general, herby seasoning you have will do. Grill over medium high heat for 8-10 minutes.
Let the chicken rest for about 5 minutes and then chop it into bite sized pieces.
While the chicken is cooking and resting prep your veggies. Thinly slice some red onins, and dice up an avocado.
We’re actually going to make this as a tossed salad that’s already dressed. Take a big bowl full of spring greens, drizzle on some of the dressing and toss it together. Don’t use all the dressing right away – just add to your liking, you can serve the salad with extra dressing for those who like more.
Now add to the lettuce the chopped chicken, onion, avocado, walnuts, feta, and blueberries.
Gently toss it all together.
Divide onto plates and top with extra toppings. Enjoy.
- ½ blueberries
- 2 T white wine vinegar
- 1 T cider vinegar
- 2 T honey
- 4 T canola oil
- Pinch salt
- 2 chicken breasts
- Mural of Flavor seasoning, or other herby seasoning
- 5 oz container spring greens
- Red onion, thinly sliced
- Avocado, diced
- Fresh blueberries
- Candied walnuts
- Feta cheese
- Using a small blender, blend together all dressing ingredients. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Preheat grill over medium high heat. Season the chicken breasts on both sides with the mural of flavor sesasoning. Grill for 8-10 minutes. Allow to rest and then chop into bite sized pieces.
- Toss the lettuce with some of the prepared dressing – dress it to your liking, don’t add it all at once.
- Add the chicken, onion, avocado, blueberries, candied walnuts, and feta cheese.
- Toss together and serve. Add extra dressing if desired.