Lemon meringue pie is a Forsman family favorite. So it was a no brainer to bring this pie to Thanksgiving dinner last week. One of my uncles even loves this pie so much that growing up he used to request lemon meringue pie as his birthday cake! This is the same recipe that my grandma used to make.
Here’s what you need:
Here’s our Grandma’s homemade pie crust recipe.
Start by making the lemon filling. Combine water, sugar, and cornstarch and microwave until thick. I started with one minute and then continued in 30 second intervals stirring between each time.
While the filling is cooking, in another bowl mix together egg yolks, lemon juice and lemon zest. Once the filling is thick, whisk in the egg and lemon mixture.
Microwave for about another 30 seconds to a minute until thickened again (you are re-thickening it because it thins just a little when you add the eggs-lemon mixture) and pour into crust.
Now it’s time to make the meringue to go on top. You don’t even need to wait for the lemon to cool down first. Grandma always used glass bowl and said make sure to use really clean utensils – you don’t want a trace of oil left on anything.
Start by beating egg whites and cream of tartar on high until it begins to foam. Then add in the sugar one tablespoon at a time. Finally add in the vanilla. Tory helped me add the vanilla AFTER I made her promise she would measure accurately, I think she may have only agreed because we were stuck with Mom’s imitation vanilla (sorry, Mom – but I guess you know what you’re getting for Christmas now). And then you just keep on beating until stiff peaks form. Do not under beat the meringue.
Spread the meringue on top of the pie. Make sure to spread all the way to the crust, this will help prevent it from pulling away when it bakes.
Now to make those pretty peaks, dip the tip of a butter knife into the meringue and pull up.
Continue making peaks all around the cake until it looks like this.
Bake at 400 degrees for 8-12 minutes until the peaks become golden. You probably don’t want to take it any farther than I baked this one.
Now it’s time to slice in and enjoy!
- Baked pie crust
- Lemon filling:
- 1-1/2 c water
- 1-1/2 c sugar
- ⅔ c cornstarch
- 3 egg yolks
- Juice of 3 lemons
- Lemon zest
- 4 egg whites at room temperature
- ¼ t cream of tartar
- 6 T sugar
- ½ t vanilla
- Mix together water, sugar and cornstarch. Microwave for a minute and then stir. Continue microwaving and stirring in 30 second intervals until thick.
- Meanwhile, mix together the egg yolks, lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir into the filling mixture and microwave for another 30 seconds to a minute until thick. Pour into crust.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar on high until foamy. Beat in sugar, 1 T at a time. Beat in vanilla. Continue beating until stiff and glossy and stiff peaks form. Do NOT under beat.
- Cover pie with meringue all the way to edge of the crust. Using a spatula or knife, pat down and lift up to form peaks.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8-12 minutes just until golden on the edges.