I almost named these 7 layer blondies because they are like a cross between my 7 layer bars and a blondie. The flavors and ingredients are very similar with both butterscotch and chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, and coconut. What I liked best about this version is how ooey and gooey the sweetened condensed milk layer in the middle gets.
I got this recipe from Mom on Timeout and it really turned out to be a winner. The only change I made was subbing old-fashioned oats for 1 minute quick cooking oats because that’s what I had on hand. I made this for hunting season so I prepped everything ahead using my cookie kit method and it came together super quickly when I was having one of my mass baking nights. These are a two step bar, because we bake part of the dough as a crust, pour on the sweetened condensed milk in the middle and then crumble on the rest of the dough. These were definitely a winner in duck camp, I’m just not sure which version I like better, these or 7 layer bars. I guess I’ll have to keep both in my repertoire.
Here’s what you need:
We’re going to start by putting some flour, quick cooking oats, coconut and brown sugar into a mixer and using that to combine. On low so everything doesn’t go flying.
Next add 2 sticks of softened butter. Don’t ask me why I took the picture before I added the 2nd stick.
Mix until it becomes crumbly. Then add an egg and some vanilla.
Next comes the chocolate and butterscotch chips.
Mix it all together. Now reserve about a cup and a half of the dough.
Press the rest of the dough into a greased 9×13 baking dish. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.
Pour a can of sweetened condensed milk over the hot crust. You should be able to tilt and rotate the pan to spread it evenly across the crust, or if you’d rather use a rubber spatula.
Now take that reserved dough and crumble it evenly across the sweetened condensed milk. You won’t get it completely covered.
Return to the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
Those dark pieces on the edges are the best, the sweetened condensed milk really caramelizes there and is amazing. It’s turning me into an edge person instead of an ooey gooey middle person when it comes to bars.
- 1-1/4 c flour
- 1 c quick cooking oats
- 2 c sweetened shredded coconut
- ¾ c dark brown sugar
- 1 c butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 c chocolate chips
- 1 c butterscotch chips
- 1 – 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Combine flour, oats, coconut, and dark brown sugar in a mixer on low speed until evenly mixed together.
- Add the butter and mix until crumbly.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Stir in the chocolate and butterscotch chips.
- Reserve 1-1/2 c of the dough and press the remaining dough into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the crust, tipping the pan gently to get it to spread evenly.
- Crumble the remaining dough over the top into an even layer, or as even as you can. There will be gaps where you can see sweetened condensed milk.
- Bake 25-30 minute until golden brown.
- Cool and cut into bars. I either cut into 24-32 bars depending on who and how many people I’m serving.