One of my favorite summertime treats are orange dreamsicle popsicles. Creamy vanilla ice-cream with an orange popsicle coating. It is such a classic and yet refreshing snack. But it’s still the middle of winter in Minnesota and ice-cream treats aren’t really at the top of anyone’s treat list. So of course when I saw these cookies from The Girl Who Ate Everything, I jumped at the chance to test out the flavors that I love about the ice-cream treat in a cookie.
I used the recipe as my inspiration starting with my own cookie base and then following her lead and using orange extract and zest to create the orange flavor and white chocolate chips for the vanilla component. Now I have this amazing mash-up of a warm out of the oven cookie that has the same orange flavor and creamy vanilla flavors that I love so much about the summertime version of the treat.
Here’s what you need:
We’re going to start with some butter and brown and white sugar.
Cream that together until light and fluffy – about 3-5 minutes on medium-high speed. Then we’ll add in some eggs, vanilla, and orange extract.
Beat that together until completely mixed. Next add in our dry ingredients of flour, baking soda, and salt.
Now it’s time to turn these cookies into dreamsicles. We’ll add orange zest and white chocolate chips. I used the zest of three oranges. I really wanted to highlight the orange flavor in the cookie. And yes [don’t read this mom] I may have tasted the dough along the way until it was just where I wanted it to be.
Here’s our dough, ready to bake. It’s hard to see in the picture but in real-life you can see the flecks of orange zest running through the dough.
I used my medium cookie scoop that scoops up about a tablespoon and a half dough and plopped scoops onto parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake them at 375 degrees for about 9-11 minutes until golden brown around the edges. As always you can bake a little longer if you want a crisper cookie.
Cool on the cookie sheet for about 3-5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Enjoy and store the leftovers in a tightly covered container.
- 2 sticks of butter, softened
- ¾ c sugar
- ¾ c brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 2 t orange extract
- 2 ¼ c flour
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t salt
- Zest of 3 oranges
- 2 c white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, or standing mixer, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy about 5 minutes. Stir in eggs, vanilla and orange extracts.
- Mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Gradually stir into the creamed mixture.
- Stir in the orange zest and white chocolate chips.
- Drop onto prepared cookie sheets using a medium cookie scoop or approximately a tablespoon and a half of dough.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes until lightly golden. Cool on cookie sheets for 3-5 minutes and remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.