One day, Derek and I were looking for something on the lighter side to have for dinner. We thought about chicken salad, but we don’t like the standard mayo based chicken salads. But, what about Greek yogurt, crunchy apples and some sweet craisins? We looked for and found some ideas, but nothing that looked perfect. So we started playing with the various ingredients we saw used commonly, tasted as we mixed up the dressing and came up with something that we’ve had several times over the past few months.
What we came up with has a combination of Greek yogurt and mayo so the dressing has a little more tang. The apples add some sweet crunch, craisins bring a chewy sweetness, and some nice crunchy walnuts. Using a rotisserie chicken makes this wrap come together in a snap.
Here’s what you need:
Start by shredding the rotisserie chicken. I like to use the breast for the wraps – the breast can sometimes be a dry even on a rotisserie chicken and since we’re adding a creamy sauce to it, you won’t even notice.
Then chop up the apple, some green onion, and finely mince the rosemary.
Mix the dressing in a large bowl. The dressing is a mix of Greek yogurt, mayo, cider vinegar, and a pinch of kosher salt and some pepper. If you want it a little sweeter you can add a teaspoon or two of honey. Taste it and adjust as needed.
Now into the bowl add the shredded chicken, chopped green apple, green onion, minced rosemary, walnuts, and the craisins.
Mix everything together and you have your chicken salad.
Now you have chicken salad. You can eat it as it, on a bun or bread, in lettuce cups or do what we did and turn it into a wrap.
Warm the tortilla and top with some lettuce – we used baby romaine that we grow in containers on the deck.
Now top it with half the chicken mixture.
Roll it up like a burrito. Start by folding the end of the tortilla over the mixture and pulling it back toward you. The fold in the left and the right edges and roll together tightly. See pictures on my breakfast burrito post.
- ½ c plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ c mayo (I used Hellman’s light)
- 4 t cider vinegar
- 1-2 t honey, optional
- Kosher salt
- ½ green apple, chopped
- ⅓ c craisins, preferred orange or cherry flavor
- 2 T chopped green onion
- 1 T minced fresh rosemary
- ¼ c chopped walnuts
- 2 c shredded rotisserie chicken
- Spring greens
- 2 tortillas
- Shred the rosisserie chicken. Use 2 cups for the wraps and reserve the rest for another use.
- In a large bowl combine the greek yogurt, mayo, cider vinegar, honey (optional), salt and pepper. Mix together and adjust to taste. Add the green apple, craisins, green onion, rosemary, walnuts, and rotisserie chicken and mix together.
- Warm the tortillas. Top with lettuce and half of the chicken mixture. Roll up like a buritto, start by folding one end over the mixture and pull it gently back toward you. Fold the right and left sides in and finish rolling.