I made these bars for a bake sale fundraiser during our annual community support campaign at work. It was a two day bake sale, but I don’t think these bars made it past lunch time on day one.
I got this recipe from my Auntie Moni. I don’t remember the first time I had it, but I do remember loving each time Auntie Moni made it. These bars have a lovely yellow cake base, gooey marshmallow middle, a crispy, crunchy, caramelly topping and of course peanuts!
Here’s what you need:
Start by cutting together the softened butter and cake mix. Then add in one beaten egg. This will be a really lose dough.
Press the crust mix into a greased 9×13 cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 13 minutes.
Sprinkle on about 3 generous cups of mini-marshmallows and return to the oven for 1-2 minutes. The marshmallows will puff up but won’t brown. Cool.
Now you want to make the crispy, crunchy, caramelly topping. Start by melting together ½ stick butter, 2/3 c corn syrup, vanilla, and a bag of butterscotch chips. I used the microwave and started with one minute, stirred and then continued in 30 second intervals. The chips will melt completely as you stir, so make sure to stir between each 30 second interval as they hold their shape until you stir them.
Now you want to mix in 2 c of Rice Chex.
Spread the mixture onto the cooled base.
Finally, press on 2 c of salted peanuts. Make sure to do this right away when the caramelly topping is still soft and will grab onto the peanuts when you press them in.
Allow everything to cool and set-up before cutting. You can cut these into 12-24 bars. I cut them into large bars for the bake sale, but at home, I cut them much smaller.
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 stick butter (soft)
- 1 egg
- 3 c mini marshmallows
- ½ stick butter
- ⅔ c corn syrup
- 2 t vanilla
- 11 oz bag butterscotch chips
- 2 c Rice Chex
- 2 c salted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix cake mix, 1 stick butter, and egg until crumbly.
- Pat into a greased 9x13 cake pan. Bake for 13 minutes
- Sprinkle with mini marshmallows. Bake 1-2 minutes.
- Melt together remaining ½ stick butter, corn syrup, vanilla, and butterscotch chips. Using the microwave start with 1 minute and then 30 second intervals. The butterscotch chips will need to be stired to melt completely.
- Mix Rice Chex into butterscotch mixture. Spread onto cooled base.
- Press salted peanuts on top.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting.
- Cut into 12-34 bars