Naan bread doubles as a pretty awesome personal sized pizza crust. One of the first pizzas we made on a naan crust was our apple bacon pizza. I can’t even begin to tell you where we got the idea for this sweet chili chicken pizza – the flavors remind me of the flavors that I get in spring rolls at this Vietnamese restaurant in downtown Minneapolis but I can’t say that was my inspiration.
I love the way the not too spicy sweet chili sauce plays with the peanut sauce drizzle, the freshness of the cilantro, and the crunch of the carrots, bean sprouts, and peanuts. And of course it’s one of those really quick meals to make on a weeknight. Even if you cook the chicken the same night – although it’s a prime candidate for leftover chicken.
Here’s what you need:
We’ll start with cooking the chicken, unless you are using leftover chicken then feel free to skip ahead to veggies. Pound the chicken to an even thickness using a meat mallet and season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
I grilled the chicken on a medium-high grill for about 8 minutes until my meat thermometer registered 165. Let the chicken sit for about 5 minutes and then dice the chicken.
While the chicken is cooking and resting you can get the veggies prepped. Dice up some onion and red pepper. I shaved the carrot into strips with a vegetable peeler. Then roughly chopped some cilantro and cut the basil into strips. And finely chopped some peanuts.
Put your naan crusts onto a foil lined baking sheet and spread on a thin layer of sweet chili sauce.
Sprinkle on some red onion and red peppers. You can see we’ve got his and hers pizzas going on here. I don’t like as much onion as the hubby does so mine is much lighter. It’s one of the beauties of individual pizzas.
Now top with chicken.
And some cheese.
Bake at 425 degrees for about 10-12 minutes until cheese is melted, or broil for about 5. Either works and I do both depending on my mood.
Once the cheese is melted, take the pizza out and drizzle with a bottled peanut sauce.
Sprinkle on the bean sprouts.
Top with cilantro, basil and carrot.
Sprinkle with peanuts.
All that’s left for you to do is to enjoy!
- 1 chicken breast
- Garlic powder, to taste
- Kosher Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Naan bread, 2
- Sweet Chili sauce
- Red bell pepper, diced
- Red onion, diced
- 1 c Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- Bottled peanut sauce
- 1 carrot, cut into long thin strips with a vegetable peeler
- ⅓ c bean sprouts
- Basil, cut into thin strips
- Cilantro, roughly chopped
- ⅓ c peanuts chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees, or heat broiler to high. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Pound chicken to an even thickness. Season both sides with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Grill chicken on a medium-high grill for approximately 8 minutes until chicken registers 165 degrees (or pan fry with a little olive oil). Allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes then cut into bite sized pieces.
- Spread sweet chili sauce, amount to taste, onto two pieces of Naan.
- Top with bell pepper, onion, and chicken.
- Sprinkle each half evenly with cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes or broil for about 5, until the cheese is melted. If you broil it keep an eye on it as broilers (as well as ovens) vary).
- Drizzle with peanut sauce.
- Top with bean sprouts, basil, cilantro, carrots and peanuts.
- Slice and enjoy.